Parent School Newsletter
Fairfield Junior High School - September Newsletter
Dear Fairfield Families,
We have had a great start to the school year! It has been a treat getting to know you and your children, they are responsible, kind and friendly and I look forward to being part of their team. Take a look at what's coming up this month.
Sincerely, Mrs. Midgley
- Layton High has invited all Fairfield students to join them for their football game this Friday at 7:00 p.m. Admission is free, just show your student ID or wear school colors. A few lucky students will be given a wristband which they can show at the game for a treat. Come support the Lancers!
- Come apply to be part of the Science Olympiad team this year! This is one of the winningest teams in Davis School District and it is a blast! The initial meeting and science test will be October 3 from 3-5p in room 164. The team will practice weekly November-May. All participating students will need to have an involved adult volunteer. The application is attached here and is also available in the main office. Contact Anna McFadden with questions email@example.com. Science Olympiad Application
- We are looking for some volunteers to come and interact with students during lunch. Lunch break is an important time of the day for kids to socialize, play and just relax. Will you be our "PAL-Parents At Lunch"? We would love to have you join kids in a game of frisbee or a football toss outside; support a game of chess, Monopoly or Dungeons and Dragons (too much Stranger Things?) on our patio, or engage students in STEM activities in our Maker Space in the library. Kreg Edgmon is heading up this great volunteer activity and will be available to get you oriented and introduce you to some students. Take a look here for more information P.A.L.S. and sign-up to come be a "Parent At Lunch" https://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050B4EA8AB2AA2FC1-fairfield.
- We are excited to get our PTSA group started! Students will meet with the PTA once a month in a lunch meets and work to provide service for fellow students, teacher and the community. Get to know new friends and have fun serving with fellow classmates! You can sign up in the office or during lunch this week. Text 801-540-1253 with questions.
- The Bountiful Food Pantry prepares pantry packs to support students and families with food for the weekend. If this program would help you or your child, please contact our counselor, Mrs. Buxton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are excited to start creating some beautiful places for students to eat, play, learn and create friendships. We are going to start by raising funds to buy outdoor picnic tables for our lunchroom patio and seating areas for our courtyard. If you are interested in supporting this project you can donate in two ways. The first is to donate to the "Principal's Fundraiser" on your myDSD account. The other is to donate through the Davis Foundation directly to Fairfield at https://dsdgive.net/event/382. Thank you for helping make Fairfield a wonderful place for our students!
Fairfield Junior High School - October Newsletter
Science Olympiad applications are due this Thursday, October 3rd. We want to include all students who are interested. This is an amazing opportunity to experience hands-on, real-life applications to science, technology, engineering, and math and to be on the State Championship team. All interested students should come to room 164 on Thursday, October 3rd for a science placement tests that will help us determine who will be on the Varsity and Junior Varsity teams. There will be treats!
We need subs! Did you know you can sign up to be a "Fairfield only" sub? This position is flexible, has great hours and allows you to support our school community. Please email Mrs. Midgley at email@example.com if you are interested. We love having our Fairfield parents here as subs!
We are excited to have increased our mobile computer labs to provide computer access to more classrooms and students. Students will sometimes need to use headphones to access lessons on the computers. We have discovered that the most hygienic way to do this is to have each student bring a pair of wired headphones for your student to use at school. We will have headphones available for those that don't bring their own. Thank you for your help with this.
Our school technology committee is looking for some help with grant writing. If this is a talent you have, we would love to get you on board. Please email Mrs. Kalt at firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information.
Fairfield Junior High School - November Newsletter
We are excited to announce the upcoming Every One Matters event sponsored by the PTA! This event will support parents, teachers and students with booths and wonderful keynote speakers including First Lady Jeanette Herbert and HOPE4UTAH Founder Greg Hudnall. We hope to see you and your student at Farmington High this Wednesday evening from 6-8 p.m.
We will be implementing a Celebration and Remediation schedule from 11/11-11/21. During these two weeks students will spend the last 30 minutes of the day working with teachers in a variety of activities. Students who need help recovering credit from first term will have a chance to work with their teacher to master concepts they missed and raise their grades. Students who are working in performance arts and honors programs may be fine tuning performances or working on honors curriculum. Other students may be celebrating their successes during first term with extension activities planned by our teachers, Latino's in Action Leaders and Student Council. We are excited to support students and to celebrate with them!
If your child received a citizenship U on their report card, they can remediate it with Mrs. Kourolis, our Student Mentor. You can reach Mrs. Kourolis for a list of approved activities (including the Every One Matters event) at email@example.com.
Surveys are open in your myDSD parent account for you to provide feedback on teachers and the school. Your feedback is very valuable to us and we appreciate the time it takes (especially with 8 teachers). You can access the surveys by logging in to your myDSD account here https://mydsd.davis.k12.ut.us/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2f
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instgram to stay connected. You can find us on Instagram @ ffjhfalcons and on FaceBook @ ffjhfalconsut.
Fairfield Junior High - December Newsletter
Thanks for supporting our Penny Wars Event as we work to raise money to support Safe Harbor. Students are invited to donate money or goods.
Please take a few minutes to provide us with your feedback. You can complete teacher surveys right on your myDSD account at https://mydsd.davis.k12.ut.us/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2f.
Fairfield Junior High - January Newsletter
We hope your holidays were wonderful and are excited to start a new year! Take a look at what is coming up for January.
1/6-1/10 Art Show (open throughout the day on the stage)
- We will be running our intervention/remediation schedule the last 30 minutes of each day January 6-14. This will provide an opportunity for students to review concepts they have not mastered and to retake quizzes and tests. Students will be assigned to classes where they are carrying a C or lower. Students who are showing mastery of second term concepts will have the opportunity to engage in enrichment activities being offered.
- The USBE has release test data from the 2019 RISE test. Fairfield received a “commendable” rating in both achievement and growth. You can access Fairfield’s report card at https://utahschoolgrades.schools.utah.gov/Home/SchoolOverAllPerformance?SchoolID=359&DistrictID=308&SchoolNbr=402&SchoolLevel=K8&IsSplitSchool=0
- We are excited to announce that we will providing an “activity bus” each week beginning 1/23/20. The bus will pick students up at 4:00 and deliver them to a convenient stop. This will allow students to attend club meetings, sporting events and to get extra help from available teachers.